Rsync snapshots, Maildir, and Sarbanes-Oxley

On 3/14/07, Tom Metro <blu at vl.com> wrote:
> John Abreau wrote:
> > I've been making backups by hand for now, by manually copying the
> > guest systems to an external usb drive periodically. But it would be
> > nice to somehow be able to include them in the rsync backups.
>
> Can you automate the startup and shutdown of the VMware guests? If so,
> then it seems a little bit of scripting wrapped around rsync should do it.

I found there's a command "vmware-loop" that lets me access the
guest systems' drives:

    vmware-loop -p /path/to/guest/disk.vmdk

prints a list of partitions, and

    vmware-loop -r /path/to/guest/disk.vmdk 1 /dev/nbd0

maps partition 1 to the Net Block device 0. Before running this, the
nbd driver needs to be loaded with "modprobe nbd".

Now I need to look for an ntfs filesystem driver for CentOS 4.4.

> > As I understand it, Maildir stores
> > message metadata in each message's filename, and that suggests
> > that Maildirs could chew up a lot of space on the rsync server with
> > redundant copies of the same message in slightly different filenames.
>
> Perhaps the --fuzzy option would prove useful (quoting the man page):
>
>    --fuzzy
>       This option tells rsync that it should look for a basis file  for
>       any  destination  file  that  is  missing.  The current algorithm
>       looks in the same directory as the destination file for either  a
>       file  that  has  an  identical size and modified-time, or a simi-
>       larly-named file.  If found, rsync uses the fuzzy basis  file  to
>       try to speed up the transfer.

Yup, --fuzzy sounds like exactly what I was looking for.

> > For Sarbanes-Oxley purposes, I need to retain all messages, so
> > I can't use rsync's --delete option to remove messages from the
> > backups that the user had deleted.
>
> If you have snapshots set up correctly, you can delete files from the
> current backup, and they'll persist in the older snapshots.

Now that I'm aware of the --fuzzy option, the rest should be straightforward.
The rules for retaining email will be different that for ordinary backups,
so I guess I should set up a separate instance of rsnapshot for the
email backups.

The biggest problems in the Sarbanes-Oxley area are non-technical;
I can't seem to find any clear explanation of exactly what I need to
archive, and for how long. I guess I need to track down my company's
legal department and ask them to look into it.

GnuPG KeyID: 0xD5C7B5D9 / Email: abreauj at gmail.com
GnuPG FP: 72 FB 39 4F 3C 3B D6 5B E0 C8 5A 6E F1 2C BE 99

believed to be clean.