Too Technical

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:53:28 -0500
"Martin Owens" <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Second, I was listening to a user complain that even though he's
> attended a few BLU meetings that the talks are always highly technical
> and way beond the normal linux user of today. with mostly system
> administrators and programmers making up our ranks this got me
> thinking that perhaps as a user group we don't cater enough time to
> giving more information to simple users on how to do things like usb
> installs or compiz/3d driver set ups. I know browsing over the records
> that we do a number of lower technical meetings but I'm just wondering
> weather we should both have a technical rating for each meeting and
> perhaps organise more for new linux users.
>
> Perhaps other events don't even need to be held in MIT, we could just
> pick out a nice pub and chat to users about various things once in a
> while, I know we used to do this in London with various groups, more
> of an afternoon group of people.
>
> What are your thoughts and ideas? are we doing too little or perhaps
> we already do too much for the simple linux user.
I think that is an excellent idea. But, we also have a 30-45 Q&A period
before each meeting where we can help some people. We could also use
this forum to get some people together, especially when we have many
places in the area, such as Panera Bread, that are wired. Get 2 or 3
people in the morning or afternoon or evening when they are not
crowded. We could also post it on our web site.

Our Linux Soup series is one meeting that is really targeted to a
learning experience. Our annual PGP key signing party is also intended
to help users understand how to set up encryption keys.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group