hdc vanished

Matthew Gillen wrote:

> Copy the device file (using 'cp -d' to avoid trying to copy the contents; or
> just do the mknod command again) to /etc/udev/devices/ (at least that's where
> it is on Fedora).  This will re-create it on reboot.
>
> If you want to figure out what went wrong, you might look to see if the udev
> configuration got munged somehow (using rpm's 'verify' mode or the suse
> equivalent)
>
> Matt

On my SuSE 10 laptop, there is no /etc/udev/devices file, but there are
relevant files in /etc/udev/rules.d (wrapped to email, unfortunately):

# grep cdrom /etc/udev/rules.d/*
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:SUBSYSTEM=="block", BUS=="ide",
DRIVER!="ide-cdrom", SYSFS{removable}="1", GOTO="persistent_end"

/etc/udev/rules.d/55-cdrom.rules:# cdrom links generated by YaST2

/etc/udev/rules.d/55-cdrom.rules:SUBSYSTEM=="block",
ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-ide-1:0", SYSFS{removable}=="1",
SYMLINK+="cdrecorder cdrom dvd"

I also noticed this relevant file:
cat /dev/.udevdb/block at hdc
N:hdc
S:disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1f.1-ide-1:0
S:cdrecorder
S:cdrom
S:dvd
M:22:0
E:ID_TYPE=cd
E:ID_MODEL=HL-DT-STCD-RWDVD_DRIVE_GCC-4242N
E:ID_SERIAL=
E:ID_REVISION=0201
E:ID_BUS=ata
E:ID_PATH=pci-0000:00:1f.1-ide-1:0

Since the rules.d file admit to being created by YaST, that would me the
most likely source of FUBARage, but hopefully with this content you'll
be able to unFUBAR it.

Good luck.

believed to be clean.