Centos 4.4 and blocked ports but no firewall?

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I just set up a service on a special port...

You might want to describe what that service is...

> ...telnet of <local ip> <special port> from lan boxen say connection
> refused.

If your unspecified service happens to use UDP instead of TCP for the
transport, that would be the expected result.

Or it may be a binding issue, as the other responder mentioned.

> I specifically disabled all port filtering on the centos box to keep it
> as open as possible.

If you suspect that there is port blocking occurring in the OS (an
unanticipated firewall), you could test that by running the telnet
daemon on the port that you intend to run your service on, and test an
inbound connection.

> I have a simple linksys box that is not blocking anything internally.

If you mean among the different LAN ports on the switch, I don't think
blocking is even possible with the stock Linksys firmware.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA