Streaming audio from CentOS 4.4?

Scott R Ehrlich wrote:
> I've set up a streaming audio server, connecting my scanner at home to my laptop
> running XP Home w/Ogg Vorbis and Icecast.  Then, at work, I use Realplayer to
> listen during the day or when I'm at someone else's computer and want to
> monitor activity and don't have a radio with me.    The Ogg/Icecast setup has
> worked well under Windows.
>
> What would be the equivalent setup for Linux?   For Windows, it has been pretty
> painless.   Is there the same amount of simplicity for Centos/Linux?

There's a src.rpm on the icecast site.  You can build it for CentOS like so:

 $ wget http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/icecast/icecast-2.3.1-0.src.rpm
(building rpms as root is generally bad practice, but I don't know how to set
it up on CentOS "the right way", so either build it as root or look on google
for rpmdev-tools or somesuch)
 # rpmbuild --rebuild icecast-2.3.1-0.src.rpm
(check the last few lines of output to see where it wrote the fully-built rpm
to, then install it)

Matt

believed to be clean.