NIC names

I don't know how to do it on solaris, but on linux, check /etc/modules.conf
| /etc/modprobe.conf | or something similar depending on your distro (sorry,
I don't use either of two you mention).  There should be a line like:
  alias eth0 <DriverName>

You should be able to just change the "eth0" to whatever you want.  Of
course, you'll have to update the rest of the network config scripts to
reflect the new name (or just re-run the network config utility for your
distro).

If changing the "eth0" part isn't what you're talking about, then I don't
have any ideas.

HTH,
Matt

Rusty wrote:
> I don't have that command on any of my machines, I have systems running
> gentoo, solaris 10, and suse.

believed to be clean.