Ubuntu commercial support is the same as Vista Ultimate?!?!

Grant M. wrote:
> So you can be the Linux elitist, and say that 'newbies need not apply',
> or you can step up to the plate and offer a solution. I just think that
> anyone who wants to beat Microsoft at their own game has to offer more
> for less.

What is this game of which you speak?  Making money?  World domination?

Quite frankly, I don't give a rats butt what everyone else uses, and so the
"world domination" angle doesn't do it for me.  I use Linux for everything I
can because I like it and I think it gives me a productivity edge.

Do I think that there are a whole lot of windows users that would be better
off in various ways if they "saw the light" and started using linux et al?  Of
course.  Am I going to devote all my free time to single-handedly converting
all those people and providing "free support" for them?  No way.

What would I get out of it?  The satisfaction of seeing Microsoft's empire
fall? (will happen eventually without my help) Better software for myself?  (I
doubt it: if they were technically proficient enough to fix bugs and solve
problems on their own, they wouldn't have needed support in the first place)

The only benefit I would get from linux-as-a-whole having higher market share
would be hardware vendors being pressured to produce linux drivers on their
own.  But the return-on-investment there looks pretty crappy, considering that
most hardware worth buying is already supported by linux in some way (either
through volunteer efforts or a handful of clueful vendors).

Matt

believed to be clean.