Plugin Bloat (speeding up OpenOffice?)

The universe of software is far larger than a standard distro; I intentionally
didn't name which app I'd installed, because my larger point (that hasn't been
refuted) is that the applications people *typically* use (such as Firefox) are
on a path toward bloat (even though there are now and always have been
lighter-weight alternatives).  If you stray too far from typical apps, you
have a different set of challenges to deal with.

By "responsive", I mean that in the past the number of milliseconds to do
anything (be it a task launch, a screen refresh, a program function) was
actually in the project's design spec.  Long-ago past, that is.  Few
developers think that way at all these days, and I don't think a team of them
has come together to design a whole functional system from the ground up
recently, except for the product I mentioned (the so-called iPhone).

Taking up the challenge about using distros instead of downloaded .tgz files:
(Yes I am guilty, I almost always download and install from source rather than
a distro, because I let 3 to 5 years go by after loading a distro before
updating it, usually with a system overhaul.  And these days most apps aren't
compiled C code, they tend to be php or Java or whatever, you just load them
into your Apache directory and tweak them into submission.)

The app I installed was a Wiki engine.  Just for yuks, I went over to the
Fedora core website to see if their product includes a wiki.  Couldn't learn
much about it but was *rather* amused to find that the Fedora site itself runs
on a wiki called MoinMoin.  Available for download.  In .tgz format.  *Not*
and rpm.  ;-)

-rich

believed to be clean.