speeding up OpenOffice?

   Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:35:38 -0500
   From: Seth Gordon <sethg at ropine.com>

   My wife routinely curses OpenOffice, because of the time it takes
   to load and the way it brings the rest of her system to a
   screeching halt.  (This is an Inspiron 1100 with a 2.4GHz Celeron
   and 256 MB of RAM running Ubuntu "Dapper Drake".)  Is there some
   trick, some --disable-cruft option that I can set when recompiling
   the whole thing, that would make the experience less painful for
   her?  Is there a lighter-weight word processor that is good at
   reading and writing the MS Word files that the rest of the universe
   insists on sending to her?  (In practice, she's only using that
   part of OO; I already installed gnumeric so she doesn't have to
   deal with the OpenOffice spreadsheet program.)

Add memory.  256 MB just isn't enough to run OpenOffice along with
everything else.  Even 512 MB is iffy if she's doing a lot of work.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton

believed to be clean.