Gentoo talks at MIT

hello all. i will be leading two classes on gentoo linux this week
and next week at MIT. full information below. note the new date/time
for the classes.

scroll all the way down for info on two other presentations of mine.

i hope to see you there!

Introduction to Gentoo Linux

No enrollment limit, no advance sign up
Participants welcome at individual sessions
Prereq: Linux or UNIX experience

Presented by Rajiv Manglani, Gentoo Linux Developer.

Sponsored by MIT SIPB.

Monday, January 15, 2007, 6-8:00pm, MIT Building 4, room 237

Gentoo Linux is a versatile and fast distribution for x86, PowerPC,
Sparc, Alpha, AMD64, IA64, and MIPS systems that is geared towards
Linux power users. Unlike other distros, Gentoo Linux has an advanced
package management system called Portage. Portage is a true ports
system in the tradition of BSD ports, but is Python-based and sports
a number of advanced features including dependencies, fine-grained
package management, "fake" (OpenBSD-style) installs, path sandboxing,
safe unmerging, system profiles, virtual packages, config file
management, and more. A completed Gentoo Linux installation is
customized and optimized for your specific needs.

We will have an overview presentation and a demo of a running Gentoo
system.

Advanced Gentoo Linux

No enrollment limit, no advance sign up
Participants welcome at individual sessions
Prereq: Some Gentoo experience

Presented by Rajiv Manglani, Gentoo Linux Developer.

Sponsored by MIT SIPB.

Thursday, January 25, 2007, 7:30-9:30pm, MIT Building 56, room 114.

This session will cover advanced usage of Gentoo Linux, a versatile
and fast distribution for x86, PowerPC, Sparc, Alpha, AMD64, IA64,
and MIPS systems that is geared towards Linux power users.

Details of Portage, the Gentoo package management system, will be
presented. We will discuss creation of ebuild scripts, usage of
various system tools such as equery and gentoolkit. We will also have
a detailed look into the init scripts system, and the various
settings in make.conf. Current Gentoo users are encouraged to attend
with their questions and anecdotes.

If you plan on attending either session, please RSVP to <sipb-iap-
gentoo at mit.edu>.

For more information, contact: Rajiv Manglani, <rajiv at alum.mit.edu>.
See also <http://stuff.mit.edu/iap/gentoo/>.

also, two bonus classes for those who scrolled down this far:

Introduction to Ruby on Rails

No enrollment limit, no advance sign up
Single session event
Prereq: Interest in web application development.

Presented by Rajiv Manglani.
Sponsored by MIT SIPB.

Monday, January 29, 2007, 6-8:00pm, MIT Building 2, room 105.

Ruby on Rails is an open-source web framework that is optimized for
programmer happiness and sustainable productivity. It lets you write
beautiful code by favoring convention over configuration. We will
take a tour through the framework, look at popular sites using Rails,
and we will even build a database-driven web application during the
class.

If you plan on attending please RSVP to <sipb-iap-ror at mit.edu>.

Good Experience Live 2006 Conference Sessions

No enrollment limit, no advance sign up
Single session event
Prereq: Interest in user experience

Presented by Rajiv Manglani.
Sponsored by MIT SIPB.

Thursday, February 1, 2007 7:30-9:30pm, MIT Building 56, room 114.

Gel ("Good Experience Live") is a conference and community exploring
good experience in all its forms -- in business, art, society,
technology, and life. Join us as we watch sessions from the 2006
conference DVD: Seth Godin, author of Permission Marketing and All
Marketers Are Liars, Craig Newmark of craigslist.org, Douglas
Rushkoff, author, journalist, Rick Smolan, Against All Odds
Productions, creator of the Day in the Life photography series, and
Charlie Todd, urban prankster.

If you plan on attending please RSVP to <sipb-iap-gel at mit.edu>. See
also <http://stuff.mit.edu/iap/gel/>.

   rajiv aaron manglani / rajiv at alum.mit.edu / http://