Comcast phone and Internet inquiries

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 15:45:47 -0500 (EST)
Scott Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> A relative of mine is looking to cut expenses a bit, and has Comcast cable
> and Internet.
>
> - They learned that if they bundle in phone, that they retain all the
> features they use now.  How reliable, clear, etc is Comcast phone to
> Verizon?
>
> - Apparently Comcast has an Economy Tier Internet service for
> $24.95/month.  The economy service reportedly doesn't offer their Power
> Boost option, which they don't need anyway. Anyone know anything about
> this Economy service?
>
> They do rely on their Comcast email accounts.
I converted from Verizon (very noisy) to Comcast Digital Phone a few
years ago. The service was very good. I converted to Digital Voice
several months ago after a couple of friends of mine. I am very happy
with the service. Digital Voice (the one bundled with the Internet) is
tied into the cable modem. While it is a VOIP technology, the packets
are intercepted within the Comcast network, and never actually go onto
the Internet. All the services, such as caller-id, are included. I
would highly recommend this to current Comcast subscribers. It saved me
$30/mo over Digital Phone which saved me about $15/mo over Verizon at
the time. The $24.95 rate is a promo rate for 24 months where it goes
up a few bucks, but still cheaper than an analog line.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group