CLI "Tape" backup utilities???

On Jan 8, 2007, at 3:37 PM, R. Mariotti wrote:

> In the past I've been using Storix for my backup suite with
> reasonably good results.  But, I would like something that is a
> little more portable and can be run from the command line to both
> make, view and restore the tapes.
>
> I am aware of the usual array of available "linux" facilities
> (amanda, arkeia, etc) but I am curious as to what others may be
> using for this purpose.

I highly recommend Bacula, which has served our purposes quite well.
We back up over a dozen terabytes with bacula, connected to a tape
autochanger. It took some time to set up (its feature set is deep,
and documentation is abundant) but once I got it up and running, I've
been very happy with it. Simpler requirements (single tape drive vs
autochanger, or even disk-to-disk) will be even easier to implement.

> Ease and reliability are my main concern.  Oh, and did I mention
> Free?  Honestly, I am willing to pay if the product/utility is
> worth it.  But few of them really are.

It's all three (though 'ease' is relative, of course). All
administration is done via the CLI, but development is underway for a
proper GUI frontend.

Another good product (non-free) that has a rich CLI and good Linux
support is BRU.

Cheers,
Ian

believed to be clean.