Building kernel modules

Matthew Gillen wrote:
> jbk wrote:
>> I am trying to make the ide-tape.ko module using the instructions
>> provided in the Fc6 release notes.
>> Oops,
>> I figured it out and did it. I have to issue "make" with no target.
>> Now the question is do I just copy the .ko file to
>> /lib/modules/"kernelversion"/kernel/drivers/ide/ or do I have to issue
>> the "make modules install" command to register the new module? This
>> would seem pretty convoluted since it requires being in the build root
>> dir of the kernel-devel. I guess I'll find out if it works.
>
> You should just be able to copy the .ko file as you said, and 'insmod' will
> work.  For 'modprobe' to work correctly, running
>  depmod -a
> after the copy is usually a good idea.
>
> There are some more steps if you need that module to be available before the
> root filesystem is mounted (ie it's a driver that you need in order to
> access your root filesystem) via an initrd image, but I'm guessing you're
> not trying to put your root filesystem on tape, so that should be enough.
>
> Matt

Thanks,
Running "make modules_install" creates an empty
/lib/modules/kerneversion/kernel/ directory, hosing the
system as I just discovered. I've just recovered from that
debacle. Had to uninstall and reinstall the running kernel
which screwed the initrd, so I had to go into rescue mode
and remake the initrd, but it worked.

Jim Kelly-Rand

believed to be clean.