Building kernel modules

jbk wrote:
> I am trying to make the ide-tape.ko module using the instructions
> provided in the Fc6 release notes.
> Oops,
> I figured it out and did it. I have to issue "make" with no target.
> Now the question is do I just copy the .ko file to
> /lib/modules/"kernelversion"/kernel/drivers/ide/ or do I have to issue
> the "make modules install" command to register the new module? This
> would seem pretty convoluted since it requires being in the build root
> dir of the kernel-devel. I guess I'll find out if it works.

You should just be able to copy the .ko file as you said, and 'insmod' will
work.  For 'modprobe' to work correctly, running
 depmod -a
after the copy is usually a good idea.

There are some more steps if you need that module to be available before the
root filesystem is mounted (ie it's a driver that you need in order to
access your root filesystem) via an initrd image, but I'm guessing you're
not trying to put your root filesystem on tape, so that should be enough.

Matt

believed to be clean.