Laptop recommendation

   From: dsr at tao.merseine.nu
   Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:22:04 -0500
   Cc: discuss at blu.org

   On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 02:11:23PM -0500, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   > * Screen resolution at least 1600x1200 at 24 bit depth (higher is
   >   better) -- I like having a lot on my screen, and I do a lot of image
   >   work.
   >
   > * Price must be reasonable.

   I'm not sure you can get both of those requirements together, but I
   would strongly suggest an Intel-based laptop with the integrated
   i815-series (i845, i915, etc) graphics chips. That seems to be the
   best current choice for open-source X 3D acceleration.

I don't particularly care about 3D acceleration; I don't play games
any more sophisticated than Minesweeper and I turn off all of the
animation, fading, etc. that passes for "innovation" these days.
However, the screen resolution is very important -- 1600 is the
minimum horizontal resolution I need to have 3 emacs windows side by
side in 6x10 font, and I want the highest resolution I can get to more
effectively edit photographs and such.

I took a look on emperorlinux.com.  The prices there are scary.  The
cheapest one that meets my requirement for screen is the Gazelle BX670
(based on the Sony BX670, and Sony's never really my favorite brand
anyhow).  It does have a 17" 1920x1200 screen, which is a plus, but
then I'd have to add a DVD writer and a lot of memory to come up with
something reasonable.

If that's what prices really are like, maybe I'll have to look on eBay
for another I8200 (or at least the base unit including the
motherboard).

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton

believed to be clean.