Good residential DSL providers?

Bill Horne wrote:
> Because I didn't wan to play Comcast's or Verizon's games, I use
> Speakeasy. It's a Covad-provided ADSL line, and it costs about 1.8 times
> what Verizon would charge. In return for the extra money, I get better
> bandwidth, cluefull tech support that speaks American English, a fixed
> IP address, 24-hour turnaround on borken equipment (my modem died, but
> was under warranty), and a "bits are bits" attitude. I _could_ have
> worked around Verizon's restrictions, e.g., by using dynamic DNS
> providers and port shifting, but in the end I decided that I should
> reward Speakeasy for being a better service provider.

I just *love* Speakeasy.  I know, broken record and all.  I wanted to
add another benefit to Speakeasy to your list, though.  That is
"permission".  When you go with Comcast or Verizon, you may or may not
be able to get a server up and running with workarounds like dynamic DNS
and running services on the wrong port, but in the end, you are
violating your agreement with them, and they can block any port they
want to at any time (and usually do so with no warning).  With
Speakeasy, you not only have permission to run whatever services you
want on any ports, they'll even help you do it, within reason.  They
actually have a plan where you can share your DSL line with others over
wireless, and they help you set it up.  You can't beat that.

Any problems I've ever had with my service were Covad's or Verizon's fault.

believed to be clean.