Good residential DSL providers?

Grant M. wrote:
> Scott R Ehrlich wrote:
>
>> I'm not looking for ultra high speed - 768/384 adsl works fine for me.
>>
>> Thanks for any insight/feedback.
>>

> Ok, here goes the flame war ;-).

I don't want to flame you: let's just call this a disagreement. ;-)
> I use Verizon DSL with some caveats: I don't use their DNS servers (they
> are about as reliable as a Yugo taxi cab) and I don't use their email
> address.
>
> [snip]
>
> Since I have been manually entering my DNS server (I use the servers
> that I maintain, so I know they are at least reasonable reliable), I
> have not had a single service outage (about 3 years).
>
> With that said, and the price being more than respectable compared to
> others, I think it's a reasonable option. (Your mileage may vary).
> Thanks,
> Grant M.

Grant,

I disagree, although not for technical reasons.

Verizon's DSL service is marketed to consumers, and priced to undercut
the DSL competition. It is intended to deny DSL revenue to potential
rivals, and to push them out of the market by slow strangulation. Since
few consumers know anything about data comm, let alone ADSL, Verizon is
pushing their service with the idea that all DSL is the same, and that
price should be the only factor in your choice.

In addition, Verizon DSL is drastically limited by artificial restraints
like port blocking. Verizon wants to undercut its competitors, but it's
also wary of undercutting itself: most medium-to-large-sized businesses
pay for T-1 lines, which are _very_ profitable for Verizon, so the
company has gerrymandered the DSL offering to cripple it for business
use: they have both TOS and port blocking restrictions designed to make
DSL useless to businessmen who want to run their own servers.

I used to have Comcast service, but I disconnected it when Comcast
started doing the same tricks: restricting ports (and denying they were
doing it), forbidding servers, etc. Although I considered Verizon's ADSL
to replace it, the information I got from this group and others made it
clear that Comcast and Verizon are merely two sides of the monopolist's
coin: both think of home-based computers as entertainment delivery
systems, no different than TV sets. Both are in the business of offering
eyeballs to advertisers, and are doing whatever they can to coral as
many users as possible, so that they can charge by the head and collect
a tax on all content traveling over "their" wires.

Because I didn't wan to play Comcast's or Verizon's games, I use
Speakeasy. It's a Covad-provided ADSL line, and it costs about 1.8 times
what Verizon would charge. In return for the extra money, I get better
bandwidth, cluefull tech support that speaks American English, a fixed
IP address, 24-hour turnaround on borken equipment (my modem died, but
was under warranty), and a "bits are bits" attitude. I _could_ have
worked around Verizon's restrictions, e.g., by using dynamic DNS
providers and port shifting, but in the end I decided that I should
reward Speakeasy for being a better service provider.

FWIW. YMMV.

Bill
P.S. I am not affiliated with Speakeasy, don't own any stock, etc. I'm
just a satisfied customer.

--
E. William Horne
William Warren Consulting