cross platform gui tool kit

Stephen Adler wrote:
> Matthew Gillen wrote:
>> Stephen Adler wrote:
>>
>>> The age old question, which is the best gui tool kit to use to maintain
>>> cross platformality?
>>> Java is one... anyone else have a favorite?
>>>

>> Just to be pedantic, Java isn't a gui tookkit, but Swing and AWT are.
>>
>> There are certainly a bunch, but 'best' depends on your implementation
>> language and license requirements (ie commercial, GPL, LGPL, BSD,
>> etc).  Can
>> you be more specific about what you're looking for?
>>
>> Matt
>>

> The gui tool kits is what I'm looking for. I prefer open source, for all
> the open source
> reasons, but if there is a pay solution which is much better then I'll
> consider that
> avenue. Basically I want to write a GUI intensive application which I
> can run on
> linux, windows and macs.

You still need to answer the question of what language you want to write
this thing in. Finding portable GUIs isn't a problem: Java has Swing,
C++ has Qt, Perl has PerlTk, TCL has Tk. They will all solve your
portable-GUI problem. The question you need to answer is what you want
in the way of a development environment, what runtime requirements you
want for your users (installation of Java Runtime Environments or Perl
modules, for example), and what kind of performance you need. Pick your
environment, then we can get more specific about toolkits.

Nathan

believed to be clean.