Compiling a custom kernel vs. compiling a single module.

I began to compiling custom kernels a long time ago first
for the fun of it and to see how small I could make it for
my purposes. Then I added a tape drive and have been making
custom Fedora kernels to enable that module.
Since the Fedora kernel is updated so frequently and enables
most features I want and the usb devices becoming so wide
ranging, I no longer want to bother trying to reduce the
kernel size, but I still need to compile the ide-tape
module. So, what is the procedure to compile one or two
additional modules for the running kernel?
The kernel-devel package is for that purpose. I see when I
run 'make help' that there is a target called
'/dir/file.ko'. So do I just run 'make
/drivers/ide/ide-tape.ko' and then make 'modules install',
or are there some other steps? What if I want to make three
or four modules? Do I just separate the different targets
with a space after make?
I know I could just try hacking away at it but I am also
interested in the discussion and any insight others may have.
Jim K-R

believed to be clean.