UPS - single points of failure

I lost 2 APC UPSs, a couple of power strips, several 'wall warts' a
TV, computer power supply (what was on a UPS), a stereo, and some more
stuff this year.  Thanks to the local power company.  They won't admit
it, but the transformer that feeds our house was not properly grounded
on the light pole, effectively giving us 220V across what should be
the 110V circuits.

(The power company folks came out and said 'there is nothing wrong',
twice.  After hireing electricians to come out, and they said to call
the power company back out, the power company folks still said 'out
stuff is right'.  Then we watched as one guy took 2' or 000 wire and a
couple of splices, climbed the pole by the transformer with a big
crimper, and came back 20 minutes later without the wire. ... Havn't
had a problem [other than figuring out what all was toasted] since.
9 months later, and claims have been filed, but they still say 'it was
not their fault'. ... go figure.)

I opened up the APC UPSes, and found a whole bank of MOVs that were
crispy critters.

I knew something was happening when I walked by my computer in my
house and started to see SMOKE RISING FROM THE POWER SUPPLY.

I still believe in UPSes, but there is no protection from some
versions of human ignorance.

Quoting markw at mohawksoft.com:

> I read this post and it made me think. I am a big fan of both Triplite and
> APC, having no problems with the units I have had for many years. Old and
> new work perfectly. I also did not see in this message what the exact
> failure was.
>
> Most all UPS systems fail for one reason: lack of maintenence. The
> standard gel type lead acid battery in these units needs to be replaced
> every 2 or 3 years based on usage and room temperature. Most of these
> units have a servicable battery and a maintnence schedule, but users never
> do it,
>
> The real culprit is battery technology, and lead acid specifically.
> Everytime you drain a battery, it loses life. Lead acid batteries lose
> life on a UPS as well. Over time they deteriorate, sometimes heating up
> and spilling everywhere.
>
> So, people look at your UPS systems, if they are more than three years
> old, buy new batteries.
>
> Also, you hardware hackers out there, there is no reason why your wimpy
> little UPS system has to only provide 15 minutes of battery backup, you
> can easily increase the capacity simply by getting batteries with a higher
> amp/hour rating.

believed to be clean.