visual studio

Been down this path as well.  Here's a couple of general rules when it comes
to looking for documentation about the mysterious ".Net":

* Most books/sources will show you how to do something using Visual Studio.
Sometimes it's hard to even figure out where the source code is, because the
How To''s
are full of stuff like "Start by clicking on New Project, then select...."

* Where source code is available, by default is almost always
VisualBasic.Net.  You have to look specifically for sources with C# source
code.  Many books are actually written in two versions, or offer a CD that
contains source in both while the book itself only shows examples in one.

* You'll find most database stuff under the ADO.NET banner.  Generic .Net
books and sources will often not have any database related info.

* Similarly, web-related stuff (both web sites, as well as web services)
goes under the ASP.NET banner.    So, for instance, if you're wondering how
to write a web service in C# using Visual Studio, you're going to create a
new ASP.NET project and specify that you want C# source code.

Good luck :).