Firefox/Thunderbird: Tar file or RPM?

I'm frustrated by the fact that it takes forever for RPMs to show up
after releases of FireFox and Thunderbird, because I like to upgrade as
soon as my "must-have" plugins are supported.  But it seems to take a
long time for them to start showing up.

Do y'all tend to use RPMs and wait, or use tar files and deal with the
fact that there's no installer setting up icons in your menus, etc?

believed to be clean.