Dual processor laptops?

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 09:54:40 -0400 (EDT)
Scott Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> I've been asked to spec out a dual processor laptop.  What is the
> difference between Intel's Duo and having dual processors?  I've heard
> that the Duo Core puts two processors back-to-back, affectively making it
> a dual processor.  Is this correct?   How does this really differ, if at
> all, from having two separate processors on the motherboard?
>
> We are largely a Dell shop, but I don't have to go solely with Dell.
> Ignore budgets for now.
Dual core means that there are effectively 2 CPUs in the same package.
Your system will see it as 2 CPUs. They share cache.

When buying laptops check the warranties. Dell is typically 90 days,
but others like HP are 1 year. Since laptops run relatively hot, the
warranty is an important factor. As far as service is concerned, Dell
is trying to improve their service, but HP also is decent. With nearly
every vendor, it is a crap shoot, you could be talking with someone in
Bangalore, Mexico, Texas, or Point Barrow.

My personal experience is with HP/Compaq laptops and they have been
pretty stable. IBM/Lenovo laptops are good also.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group