NIS

Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> Does 'genent passwd' also correctly display the users?
> yes. 'getent passwd' displays the 4 password lines correctly.
> As I mentioned 'ypcat passwd ' was able to display all the password
> entries correctly. Additionally, 'ypmatch gaf passwd

Right, but ypcat and getent are different.  On my machine, ypcat only prints
what's in the NIS database, while getent returns the combination of
/etc/passwd and NIS.  If nsswitch doesn't have the nis lines, then ypcat would
still work as you said, but you wouldn't see your NIS users in 'getent' output.

>> If not, check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file, and make sure there is
>> entries that look like this:
>>
>> passwd:     files nis
>> shadow:     files nis
>> group:      files nis
> /etc/nsswitch is correct.
>
> My next step is to write a short C program to use one of the getpwent(3)
> and getpwnam(3) functions.

You might also check your PAM configuration.  Make sure pam_unix.so is in all
the following entries:
auth
account
password