FC5, XOrg, GNOME, Display Resolution question w/ external monitor

Hi,

I'm running FC5 with GNOME desktop on an IBM Thinkpad T42p with
a 1600x1200 pixel display.  I need to connect to an external
monitor and I want that monitor at 1024x768.  Last time I
tried to configure this I had both the LCD and external monitor
sharing the same display, which meant that the external monitor
used the same resolution as the LCD..  That's not too bad,
but when I change my resolution to 1024x768 then many of my
windows get squished, and their locations get adjusted.

I tried setting a Virtual screen size in my xorg.conf, but
that doesn't seem to help.  Does GNOME do something special
to ignore the X.Org Virtual display size?  Or am I doing something
wrong?  Or is there a better way to configure the external monitor?

Here's the snippet of my xorg.conf file in case it helps..

TIA,

-derek

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1600x1200"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
        VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor1"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1024x768"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
        VertRefresh  40.0 - 70.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "ATI FireGL Mobility T2"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard1"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
        BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen      1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
                Virtual  1600 1200
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
                Virtual  1600 1200
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"