Comcast, Firefox, google, youtube

You're right, level 1 tech is for weeding out the people who claim to
know what they're talking about, and 99.99999% of the time most people
fall into this situation.  And when my problem has been a "my service is
down" I've opened a ticket and left it at that till it's fixed.  And I
have been in their situation (a long time ago), but I'm not trying to be
their friend, I'm trying to get a problem fixed.

For the rare cases where it has been a system wide problem, I have
forced my way to the right people to get the problem fixed faster.
There's no sense explaining routing or other type of problems to a level
1 tech that's going to try to walk me through some flowchart script
which doesn't apply to the problem I've called about.  Then having them
open a ticket and wait for 100's or 1000's of other complaints to come
in for the network or system engineers to finally look into the problem.

Think of it this way, if there is a system wide problem I can do two
things.  Either sit around and do nothing because it's not my company so
why should I help them.  Or offer to help.  And when I have I've been
thanked for me taking my time.

Back in the day when I was at a local ISP (when most of the ISPs were
local), we knew every other network and system admin in our area and
called them when we knew of internet wide or Tier1 ISP wide problems and
they called us.  Even though we were competitors.  Everyone helped each
other out.

Matthew Shields
Sr Systems Administrator
NameMedia, Inc.