Default email address in sendmail?

discuss-bounces at blu.org wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 09:51:02AM -0400, Gordon Marx wrote:
>> On 22/09/06, Matthew Valites <matthew.valites at webex.com> wrote:
>>> First of all, this is a horrendous idea, and I can't think for one
>>> minute of any justifiable reason that you'd want to do it.
>>
>> Perhaps I'm missing some big obvious thing, but why is everyone so
>> violently opposed to doing this? (Link + RTFA will suffice)
>
> The primary reason *I* wouldn't do it is the amount of spam that
> single email address would get. We've had users do this via a mail
> admin before (qmail in that case, but it's supported under my current
> setup using postfix) and then complain to us about all the mail
> they're getting. "I get hundreds of spam messages a day! Do something
> about this!" "Well, you're set as the catch-all for the domain."
> "Well, I need that feature. people misspell my username, so I need to
> make sure I get their mail."

It's also possible (though tedious) for someone to get a reasonable
approximation of the company employee directory by hitting th email server,
unless that company uses nonsense email addresses.  Such a directory could
be of great use to headhunters and those interested in industrial espionage,
especially if they're searching for prominent names in the field.
 -Don Levey

believed to be clean.