WMV playback under Linux/MacOS?

gboyce wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, Scott R Ehrlich wrote:
>> So the question - is there a reasonable non Windows solution for good wmv
>> playback?   If so, what is the magic?   I've played with Xine,
>> mplayer, to name a couple, but no success with smooth playback.
>
> When you used mplayer, what output plugin did you use?  Various plugins
> can give different performance levels (and have different levels of
> support on different hardware).
>
> I've generally had good luck with the xv output plugin.

I'll second that.  On some boxes I've used, the default output plugin
mplayer chooses is great.  On other boxes it seems to pick badly, and I have
to specifically tell it to use the xv or x11 plugins (I forget which worked
better, probably xv) to get acceptable performance.

Use 'mplayer -vo help' to see what your options for output plugins are.

Matt

believed to be clean.