subversion

David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>> David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> writes:
>>
>>> You know, I hear this all the time, but nobody has every been able to
>>> tell me what's so "scary" about it.  What do you think the difference
>>> should be between a tag, a branch, and a copy?
>>
>> For me, I think the native ACLs are insufficient.  I want to say
>> something like "tags are write-by-copy-only" -- i.e., you can create
>> stuff in a tag by copying from elsewhere, but you cannot 'write' to a
>> tag.
>>
>> Right now you can only assign things as read-only or read-write, and
>> that's just too course-grained for my tastes.  I think this is what
>> Kent is complaining about.
>>
>> I suspect that if SVN had more fine-grained ACL controls (and had a
>> sample default ACL that made tags write-by-copy-only) that would make
>> his life easier...  Or at least solve his biggest gripe.
>
> See, but you're contradicting yourself here.  You want it simple and
> automatic, yet you want it infinitely configurable.  You can't have it
> both ways until we invent mind-reading computers.

Where did I say I wanted it automatic?  I said I wanted samples, and
that the defaults provided are not sufficiently fine-grained.  I don't
feel like I'm contradicting myself.  Perhaps you have me confused with
someone else on this tremendously long thread?

> You also can't do anything about people commenting on software without
> knowing the facts.  I've already demonstrated in this very thread how
> you can make Subversion enforce almost any ACL you want.  You can even
> do it using several different techniques, like properties, pre-commit
> hooks, and locking.  If you're using https://, you have even more options.

Interesting.  I looked back and I couldn't find a message you sent
where you gave examples on how to do this.  I'll go look again.  Maybe
it got caught in my spam filter.  But my point remains that the
provided hooks don't really give this level of configurability.

-derek

believed to be clean.