mod_auth_pam

I don't think that's how PAM authentication works.  The httpd daemon should
not be making calls directly to NIS.  The local NIS client (ypbind) should be
doing that on behalf of anything that uses PAM as a backend.  (check for
yourself: from your log message below, the port that was refused was 34502;
what does 'rpcinfo -p' return on your webserver machine?  Is 34502 in that list?)

I don't have any better ideas if changing /etc/pam.d/httpd didn't work, but I
don't think the problem has to do with httpd->ypserver interaction.  More
likely it's ypbind->ypserver or httpd->ypbind.

Matt