new RHEL 4 machine

What about updating the system?

John Malloy
John.Malloy at pioneerinvestments.com

-----Original Message-----
From: John Abreau [mailto:john.abreau at zuken.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 12:39 PM
To: Malloy, John
Cc: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: new RHEL 4 machine

voluntaryMalloy, John wrote:

> I have inherited a new RHEL 4 machine.
>
> It is running on an HP BL25p  (Blade)
>
> Well, we are having trouble configuring the disks with LVM.  We are
not
> seeing all of  the 2 (72GB) drives.
>
> Perhaps it was not setup correctly initially?
>
> Also, since we do not have a RHN subscription for this, what is the
best
> way to update it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> John Malloy
>
> John.Malloy at pioneerinvestments.com

What do you mean when you say you're not seeing all of the two drives?
There are a number of possibilities that would be perfectly normal.

1. If the two 73G drives are mirrored, you'd see a single 72G volume,
not two volumes and not a 144G volume.

2. It's normal not to allocate all the space at once, so later you
can grow the filesystems as needed. E.g.

# vgdisplay

   --- Volume group ---
   VG Name               NeptuneVG
   System ID
   Format                lvm2
   Metadata Areas        1
   Metadata Sequence No  16
   VG Access             read/write
   VG Status             resizable
   MAX LV                0
   Cur LV                9
   Open LV               9
   Max PV                0
   Cur PV                1
   Act PV                1
   VG Size               68.28 GB
   PE Size               32.00 MB
   Total PE              2185
   Alloc PE / Size       881 / 27.53 GB
   Free  PE / Size       1304 / 40.75 GB
   VG UUID               Naut63-Nfjh-Hl12-Ci1F-Vyj2-WqeJ-7HI0Ba

Notice the line "Free  PE / Size       1304 / 40.75 GB".
On this system, there are currently 40.75 GB of unallocated space
in the LVM volume group, which can be added to any of the filesystems
as needed. If /var was running low and I wanted to increase it by 2G,

# lvextend --size +1G /dev/NeptuneVG/var
# ext2online /dev/NeptuneVG/var

The "lvextend" adds more space to the logical volume that /var uses,
and the "ext2online" expands teh ext3 filesystem to use the
additional space.

--
John Abreau
IT Manager

"The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and intended solely
for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). This information may be subject to legal,
professional or other privilege and further distribution of it is strictly prohibited without
our authority. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to and must not
disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it, and should notify us
immediately.

This footnote also confirms that this email has been automatically scanned for the presence
of computer viruses, profanities and certain file types."