iwconfig gives ath0: no such device

I was just looking at the MadWifi compatibility list, and according
to that page the WG511T are Atheros. Netgear seems to have a habit of
changing chipsets without changing model #'s though, so perhaps there
is a new revision that isn't Atheros.

http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility#WG511T

If you have a wlan0 but no ath0, you need to create one (excerpt from
http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/FirstTimeHowTo ):
Creating an Interface

MADWiFi supports virtual access points, which means you can create
more than one wireless device per wireless card. By default, a sta
mode VAP is created by, which is MadWifi talk for a 'managed mode
wireless interface'.

If your svn snapshot is more recent than the 23rd January 2006,
(r1407) than you can skip the following step:

If not, then follow these instructions to make a normal station mode
interface. Type (as root):

wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
Now, if you type iwconfig, you should see a list like the following:

eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

wifi0     no wireless extensions.

ath0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""
           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Access Point:
00:00:00:00:00:00
           Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:20 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3
           Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality=0/94  Signal level=-95 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm