Fedora Core 5 Install Error

Derrick S Boone wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm fairly new to linux, and am trying to do a complete install of Fedora Core 5
> over my current core 4 partition. When I use the graphical installation utility,
> I receive the following error:
>
> "An error occurred unmounting the CD. Please make sure you're not accessing
> /mnt/source from the shell on tty2 and then click OK to retry."

I assume you didn't at any point hit Cntl-Alt-F2 to get to the shell on tty2,
right?

> When I click ok, nothing happens, the window pops up or the system hangs. Any
> ideas on what I should do?

At what point in the install?  Before the partitioning? After the install when
it's trying to reboot?  Or when it's trying to change CDs in the middle of the
install?  I'm guessing the last.

You might try to switch to the shell (using 'Cntl-Alt-F2') and run 'fuser
/mnt/source' to see what process id is currently doing something in that
directory. (note: 'Cntl-Alt-F7' should get you back to the "graphical" screen)

You can also try 'Cntl-Alt-[F3,F4,F5]' for some log output.  Look for things
that seem like errors.

But I'd just try the install again from scratch.  If it does the same thing
again, you probably have corrupted media (burn a new CD) and/or flakey
hardware (try the memtest86 boot option from the install disk #1).

Matt