SOAP

Howard wrote:
> --- Howard <antietorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> companies

>>> only

>> unix

>>> given?
>>>
>>> Could you provide some more background on what you are
>>>
>> trying
>>
>>> to do?
>>>
>>> When you say, "incorporate our unix boxes onto the companies
>>> paging system...," what is the objective? To allow users
>>> inside your
>>> company to initiate pages via email? To have monitoring
>>>
>> tools
>>
>>> running on
>>> the UNIX boxes trigger pages when alarm conditions occur?
>>>
>> Mainly for a monitoring tool.  For instance, if the system
>> goes
>> down it will trigger a page to various pagers/users.  And, if
>> necessary, paging.  But, this will not be a priority.
>>
>>> I presume from the "SOAP" subject that the web service
>>> provided by the
>>> paging company uses a SOAP interface?
>>>
>>> My guess is that the things you want to accomplish will
>>> involve getting
>>> the sample code to operate as a command line tool for
>>> initiating a page,
>>> and then depending on what you want to trigger the pages,
>>> configuring
>>> the appropriate software to call upon the command line tool.
>>>
>> This is my guess as well.  But, I'm not sure where to start,
>> given they gave us the .xml code.

If they gave you XML, odds are what they gave you is WSDL, descriptors
for the services. If that's the case, it's a matter of picking your
poison as far as implementation language. On my debian system, I've got
a package called libsoap-lite-perl[1] which has a program called
stubmaker which generates perl code that can call a web service from the
WSDL, and python-zsi[2] which includes wsdl2py, which does the same
thing for python.

There's also a ruby package, or maybe even built into ruby (1.8), a mono
(.NET) one, plus packages for Common Lisp, Ada, C/GLib/GTK, and I'm sure
plenty of others.

That should get you started.

[1] AKA Soap::Lite perl module, http://soaplite.com/
[2] http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/