slow ssh connections on LAN

On Jul 10, 2006, at 9:07 AM, Matt Shields wrote:

> Also, if you want to see debug messages, try adding the "-v" flag for
> ssh or scp.  And if you're using pro-sumer products like Linksys or
> Netgear, especially consumer/pro-sumer grade Gig-E, don't ever expect
> gigabit speeds.  Another thing is ssh/scp adds a layer of
> encryption to
> your transfer, so that slows down your copy.  If you want something
> faster, try nfs, ftp, rsync, or anything that's unencrypted.  As
> long as
> you are behind your firewall, any of these should be fine.

What kind of throughput is typically of a "scp" on a 100BaseT LAN?

ssh is encrypting the data, but is that really slowing the transfer
rate down?  The encryption algorithm does add overhead to the amount
of data to be transferred and it surely slows down the CPU.  This
will affect the final transfer time but shouldn't affect the transfer
rate much.

What tools can I use to diagnose network performance issues (other
than ping)?  Ethereal?