Temperature monitoring for server rooms

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 12:18 -0400, John Abreau wrote:
> What do people use to monitor the temperature in their server rooms?
> I'm looking for something I can monitor remotely, preferably with
> Nagios since I've already set that up to monitor my servers.

I use an appliance designed for that purpose.  It is called the
NetBotz 500.  It does temperature, humidity, and airflow.  It also
has a motion sensing camera, noise activated microphone, and an
option rack door sensor along with the ability to add additional
additional sensors of the types mentioned above.

The product runs Linux internally and provides 24 hour graphs and
real time information from all the sensors mentioned.  It includes
software to alert of problems by email and other mechanisms.

The product was originally manufactured by a start up called
NetBotz.  They were purchased by APC.  I got mine from an IBM
business partner, e-Tech, that I get my x86 Linux servers from.
The total solution after discount was about $3,300 w/ 3 year
service warranty.

There's obviously cheaper ways to go, but we wanted to have a great
deal of trust in our environmentals monitoring and therefor felt it
was worth the expenditure.  We've lost hardware to heat damage
before (RAM Chips and SAN Disk Drives).

There are a number of ways you can integrate a NetBotz with Nagios.  I
did it with some perl scripts that you're welcome to have copies of if
you would like.

The NetBotz:

http://www.netbotz.com/

e-TechServices: