Sr Systems Administrator
NameMedia, Inc.
(P) 781-839-2828
mshields at namemedia.com
http://www.namemedia.com

-----Original Message-----
From: David Backeberg [mailto:dave at math.mit.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:12 AM
To: Matt Shields
Cc: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: Interface Errors

I've heard that Dell switches are absolute pieces of garbage, and that
you get exactly what you pay for when you buy them. Do you have any
non-Dell switches you can put in place to see if the interface errors
will go away then? You can get little five-port GigE switches from
Netgear for about $50 these days. I realize I'm recommending a crap
switch to isolate what was more expensive hardware, but you haven't
ruled out your switch as a problem yet. Just swapping a Dell switch with
another Dell switch doesn't rule out that their hardware can't handle
your load.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archive/thread/437041-1.html
gs "dell ethernet switches crap" for more entries like that

If everything in your datacenter is Dell, you can put a non-Dell switch
between your server and the next switch, and see if the error gets
isolated by the intermediate non-Dell switch instead of getting passed
on to the server. You could accomplish the same thing with a dual-nic
linux bridge box. That way, you could use ifconfig / iptables / ebtables
to monitor both sides of the connection and isolate errors to one side.

Dell server <> bridge box eth0 <> bridge <> bridge box eth1 <> Dell
switch http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Bridge

I'm also assuming you haven't done anything idiotic, like run your
ethernet cables on the floor and had given tours to people in
high-heels, or run your ethernet cables along flourescent lights, or
quick-tie the ethernet cables to high-current power cables, and wonder
why you're getting errors.

--
David Backeberg (dave at math.mit.edu)

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Matt Shields wrote:

> I've been having a problem for about a week where the interface on my
> server slowly collects errors (~4 or 5 errors/minute). This server
(Dell
> Poweredge 1850) is our firewall and is connected via GigE to our Dell
> PowerConnect 5324.  The Powerconnect has an uplink to our provider
that
> is Gig Fiber.  I'm using CAT6 cable and I have replaced it numerous
> times.  I've also changed the switch port.  Can anyone offer any
> suggestions?  Don't know if this matters, but we're passing 60-80
Mbits