current distros for the new user?

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Ken Gosier wrote
> My only reservation is something silly. I watch dvd's all the time on my
> laptop, and I'm not sure if all the legal issues have been sorted yet.
>Is there a dvd player out there that can (legally) play dvd's on linux?

<disclaimer>I'm not a lawyer, nor should this be construed as legal advice
</disclaimer>

My understanding of the DMCA is that the person who actually makes the
"violation" is responsible for their creation, but not others who make use
of said creation. In this case, the "person responsible" was a 16 year-old
Norwegian, found not guilty in Norwegian courts. The MPAA brought suit
against people who distributed his work, but I don't know what happened to
those cases. Lots of absurd things have been illegal and later fixed, like
counting a black person as more than 3/5ths of a person, aiding a runaway
slave to freedom, alcohol, oral sex, and voting if you're not a white male
21 year-old landowner.

At any rate, these days you seem to be more likely to get in trouble by
downloading music illegally rather than watching dvds you own. I would
think watching dvds in your possesion would fall under fair use and the
DMCA would be thrown out for that narrow activity. The other reason that I
think DeCSS wouldn't survive a court challenge is the ruling that allowed
us to own VCRs, TiVos, iPods, etc. Basically, the Court ruled that if
there is a single legitimate usage for such a device, then possession of
the device is okay, even though a possible use of the device could be
infringing on copyright. But then again, look at the Supreme Court
Americans have given themselves. America is NOT 5/9ths Catholic, white,
and male. Sigh.

So to actually answer your question, you may be able to run a
Windows-based, proprietary, licensed dvd player within VMWare, but I think
the law is on your side as long as you're not actually violating
copyright but just watching legitimate movies.

--
David Backeberg (dave at math.mit.edu)