Anti-DRM efforts in Boston and Cambridge

I received this from Peter Brown of the FSF:

Come and join a group of technologists having some fun, and help get the
message out about DRM.

We are organizing a Flash Mob this Saturday at the Apple store in
Cambridge at 10:30am. All you need do is turn up and join the mob and
smile for the camera. We will be capturing photos and video to be posted
on the website http://defectivebydesign.org/

The first Flash Mob was a lot of fun and got huge coverage with front
page stories on Slashdot, Digg and BoinBoing. In the two weeks since the
launch on May 23 we have had 2,000 technologists take the pledge to help
us spread the word about DRM. Raising awareness about DRM is vital.
These kind of events get the press coverage that gets people discussing
the issues. Once people know about DRM - we win.
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/05/23/antidrm_demonstrator.html

Come and join us and have some fun - we are heading for lunch afterward
if you want to hang out with fellow DRM-fighters.

Let me know you can make it by emailing me at
appleflash at defectivebydesign.org (enclose a phone number), and I will
call you with meet-up info.

Peter Brown
Executive Director
Free Software Foundation
Tel: +1-617-542-5942

What is DRM?
Technology that restricts what you can do with the electronic devices
you own and the media you buy. DRM can be deployed in software, hardware
and content like music or movies. DRM enables Big Media to restrict
you.

THEY call it Digital RIGHTS Management - their rights. They want the
rights to restrict you and your behavior, so we call it Digital
RESTRICTIONS Management and CRAP (Content, Restriction, Annulment,
Protection).

DRM doesn't just restrict the use of music and movies, it can also be
used to restrict software or access to information. Introducing DRM
into our computers and devices hands over control to strangers. DRM can
monitor what you do and report on your behavior.

What is wrong with Apple and iTunes?
We have always been able to buy music and copy it for our personal
needs. We've all made mix tapes for our friends, or burned a copy for
our car, or for our portable device. Big Media figured that with digital
technology they could find a way to stop us from doing these things in
the hope that they could make us pay for every use. Apple has introduced
DRM into their product lines to please Big Media, and to start to impose
restrictions and monitoring. As the largest distributor of DRM
technology Apple is setting a new low for the mistreatment of our
freedoms.

Take back your technology, say no to DRM in your computer and in your
home. Join DefectiveByDesign.org http://defectivebydesign.org/

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group