Have you seen this error message?

Laura,

It's probably a hardware bug, most likely a single-bit error in your
RAM.   You could probably just go spend $100 for some new RAM and it
might fix the problem.  Another thing to try before you go off spending
money:  Open up the box and vacuum out all the dust and dirt inside!
After that, run memtest86..  That SHOULD show you any kind of memory
errors.  If memtest throws errors then definitely just get some new
RAM.

My $0.02

-derek