current distros for the new user?

On Friday 02 June 2006 12:00 pm, dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 11:46:56AM -0400, R. Luoma wrote:
> > Since the linux distributions seem to change from week to week,
> > I am asking for yet another survey of what would be a good
> > distribution to hand to a new user of linux?
>
> Ubuntu, generally. Especially as a LiveCD to play with before
> they commit.
I tend to prefer KNoppix live CDs. I've not had good luck with Ubuntu, but I
think that under Mark Shuttleworth's leadership, Ubuntu seems to be a very
viable system.

I still prefer SuSE from a couple of standpoints, the first is that system
administration is very simple and straightforward with YaST. In contrast,
Red Hat has tended to change their system administration strategies.
But, in all cases they do appear to work well.

I recently had some trouble with a user with Ubuntu. Mostly it was based on
questions I could not answer because I did not have an Ubuntu system where
I could have easily solved the problems on SuSE or Fedora.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group