current distros for the new user?

Having a book is an issue, but documentation is not.

Currently I am recommending UBUNTU as a desktop, it stools are not
hard to use, mainly GUI, so it is an easy learning curve from Windows.

My personal frustration is in trying to load Suns' JAVA on it, but
that should be resolved in the December release if my guess is right,
so it will just come with UBUNTU.

I have heard from others that KBUNTU (KDE version) is just as good.

These may not be the best, but it is getting easier every year for the
un-initiated to become Open computing supporters without as steep a
learning curve. (Note: I am trying to be nice and not say anything
negative about the M-Company ;)