gnu/linux on AMD: 64-bit or 32-bit?

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 9:30 am, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> John Kirby wrote:
> > Friend of mine just mailed me. He got a swank new machine and was
> > curious about 64bit vs 32bit versions of distributions:
> >
> > "My processor is an AMD Athlon 64. This means I could opt for a 64-bit
> > version of Linux -- I have seen several. I'm fearful though that I may
> > end up with something less tested and hence less stable than a plain
> > old 32-bit version.
> >
> > What do you think?"
> >
> > I only have experience with RH and Suse 32-bit installs so any feedback
> > I can pass on is appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> IIRC, Suse has a 64-bit version.
This is true. I am running SuSE 10.0 on my AMD Turion 64 laptop in 64-bit
mode. While I bought the laptop primarily to use for my classes at
Northeastern, I specifically opted for 64-bit hardware since I do a lot of
32-bit to 64-bit porting.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group