Linux Laptop

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 10:17:32AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Thursday 04 May 2006 8:27 am, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> > So; to get working wifi under linux, you need to pay a $50 HP premium.
> > The broadcom option (the default) does not work if you get a recent model
> > nx6125: 1. broadcom does not release linux drivers
> > 2. broadcom does not release 64-bit drivers
> > 3. so ndiswrapper + asus windows drivers is the way forward
> > 4. there are no asus drivers yet for the newest revisions of the card
> This is crap.

Like I said, it depends on the exact version of the card. My colleague's
NX6125 is only a month or so old. How old is your NX6125?

Besides; having to use ndiswrapper sucks. I'll take a GPL'd driver (ralink,
for instance) anytime over the (slightly unstable) resource hog that
ndiswrapper + windows driver is. Ndiswrapper is a _workaround_. It's not a
solution.

Anyway, my main point was that I find it unacceptable that HP (and IBM) lock
down their machines to only accept certain mini-pci cards, for _no good
technical reason at all_.

Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(   "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy   )-
Virtual hosting -(              operating systems." -- Linus               )-