controlling DHCP

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 07:30:47PM -0400, James R. Van Zandt wrote:

> David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net> wrote:
> >   ... a better solution to the problem is this:  run an
> >   internal DNS server on your LAN, and your problem is solved.
>
> Right.  Simple job for a Linux box, though I've been trying to leave
> mine off to save power & wear and tear.  However, my router (Linksys
> WRT54GS, firmware v2.07.1) is *already* a Linux box.  I guess I have
> to install third party firmware to get DNS running there.  Anybody
> have experience with this?

Try openwrt.org or dd-wrt.com, the latter being easier to administer
(full-blown webinterface).

> By the way, the other reason to leave local machines DHCP rather than
> static, is that when the cable company moves their DNS servers, your
> machines get reconfigured automatically.

What I do is leave everything on DHCP (for that reason, and for simple
management ease - all config changes are on the server, _always_) but I 'fix'
individual machine's IP's through blocks of config like this:

  host some_host_name {
    hardware ethernet 00:08:xx:xx:xx:xx;
    fixed-address 192.168.x.x;
  }

Best of both worlds...

Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(   "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy   )-
Virtual hosting -(              operating systems." -- Linus               )-