controlling DHCP

Well, first off, it sounds like what you really want is to give the
desktop machine a static IP address.  The "D" in DHCP stands for
"dynamic", so technically what you're trying to do is a contradiction:
you want a dynamic IP server to serve up static addresses.  Well, why
not solve the problem by avoiding it, and just give the server a static
IP?  This will allow you to do port forwarding to the server.  For the
rest of the machines, you can just use plain old DHCP, since you don't
care what address they get assigned.

That said, I have heard of routers that can assign specific IP's to
machines with, say, a specific MAC address, which basically accomplishes
what you want:  having a DHCP server serve up static IP's.  Still, I
wouldn't recommend going this route 1) since it's not necessary, as
you'll see below, and 2) since you've already seen that this is
problematic if you use different MAC addresses (i.e, different network
cards) on the same machine.

The other issue that I'm reading that you have here, and which I think
is the piece that you're not grasping here, is that your internal
network has no internal DNS server.  This means that there's no way for
you to refer to another PC on your network by name, and so you're forced
to use its IP address.  You've compensated for this by manually editing
the hosts files on each machine, linking IP and name for all the other
machines.  But this causes another problem:  that restricts you from
using DHCP to assign the other machines their IP addresses.  Because if
the machine gets assigned a different IP address, then all your hosts
records are wrong.  This, it sounds like, is the other reason why you're
following the route of trying to get your DHCP server to serve up fixed
addresses.

Really, though, a better solution to the problem is this:  run an
internal DNS server on your LAN, and your problem is solved.  Assign the
server a static IP, let all the other machines get assigned a dynamic
IP, and then the internal DNS server will let you refer to all the
machines by name instead of IP.

I do this very thing on my local network and it works great.  It
probably sounds complicated - and it would be if you were running a
complicated DNS server like BIND.  But if you use a DNS server that's
simpler and targeted to small LAN's like yours, then it's really pretty
easy.  Fortunately, such an animal exists:  dnsmasq.
(http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html)  Dnsmasq is a pretty simple
and easy to use combination DHCP and DNS server for small LAN's.

I'm not going to go into the details of configuring it (you can email me
off-list if you're interested), but basically what you'd do is this:

* turn off DHCP in your router
* install dnsmasq in your server
* configure dnsmasq for serving up both DHCP and DNS
* tweak 1 or 2 other network/dns settings on your server
* feel joy

Check it out!  I started using dnsmasq a couple of years ago.  It's been
"set it and forget it" and I've been happy ever since.

HTH.  Feel free to email back if you have more questions.

DR