From: David Kramer <david at thekramers.net>
Subject: <homer> Stupid network! </homer>
To: discuss at blu.org

So I used to run the standard server config at home on my previous
server, with two network cards, one for internal and one for external,
the internal one going to a hub which had a WAP on it for wireless, and
some wired computers.

At the same time I built this Suse 10 server, I bought a Linksys
wired/wireless router (WRT54G).  I set it up with the DSL going to the
WRT54G, and plugged the single network card of the server into that, and
a hub off another wired  port of the WRT54G.  It worked, but I felt
there was a performance penalty for doing that, and there were a few
times the router locked up (often during long torrent sessions).  Plus,
I wanted to set up interesting firewall rules for my daughter's
computer.  So I wanted to set up the new server like the old server was.

I've put about 10 hours into this, and I can't make what should be this
easy thing work.  My current arrangement is
server --> hub --> wired computers
                --> WRT54G --> wireless conmputers
(note, I've tried a switch instead of the hub)

What I'm getting is the wired computers work fine, but the wireless
computers aren't getting past the WRT54G.  They can talk to the WRT54G's
admin screens, but can't get out to the internet, or even ping my own
server.  The WRT54G's incoming and outgoing logs are both empty (yes,
they're enabled).  From the admin screen, the WRT54G cannot ping my
server.  I've tried setting up the WRT54G for both static and DHCP, too.
  the firewall is disabled on the WRT54G.

Some curious symptoms:

- Since the wired computers on the hub connected to the internal port of
my server are working fine, I tend to think the problem is NOT my server.

- Yes, I redid the SuSEfirewal2 rules to set up the internal and
external, the internal is not firewalled at all.  There is no DMZ.

- When I tcpdump the internal server card, I see ntp and bootp packets
from it.

- my wireless laptop will **occasionally** be able to get content from
the internet, after a very long delay.

- tcpdump on my external port is frequently outputting lines like:
11:35:46.417408 IP dsl092-068-235.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net >
asgard.blu.org: ICMP host dsl092-068-235.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net
unreachable, length 60
11:35:46.417429 IP dsl092-068-235.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net >
dns.nyc1.speakeasy.net: ICMP host dsl092-068-235.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net
unreachable, length 91
11:35:46.417439 IP dsl092-068-235.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net >
ns-legacy.speakeasy.net: ICMP host dsl092-068-235.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net
unreachable, length 91
(dsl092-068-235.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net is me)
I'm thinking that my external port (eth0) is trying to send packets to
its own address (66.92.68.235)

- When I try to bring up a website from my wireless laptop by IP address
instead of name, I usually get a connection timeout, and I don't see any
activity on the internal port of the server

Ugh.  I hate this.  Can someone give me some clues before I have to rip
this all up and put the WRT54G back in front of my server?

Thanks.