A tip of the hat to the end of a distro as we know it.

david at thekramers.net wrote:
>> David Kramer wrote:
>>> Red Hat gives up on Fedora Foundation 4/6/2006 10:16:57 AM, by Ryan Paul
>>>  http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060406-6535.html
>>>
>>> "In an  open letter distributed to the Fedora community earlier this
>>> week, Red Hat employee and Fedora project leader Max Spevack states that
>>>  Red Hat is no longer interested in establishing an autonomous,
>>> nonprofit foundation to manage the Fedora project. Instead, Red Hat will
>>>  revive the Fedora Project Board, which will include five Red Hat
>>> representatives, four members of the Fedora community, and a chairman
>>> appointed by Red Hat who will possess veto power. Dominated by Red Hat,
>>>  the Fedora Project Board will now have complete authority over the
>>> Fedora project, including budgetary control."
>> I'm not sure what you were implying.  Fedora is not going away.  The
>> "Foundation" is.
>
> Correct.  That's where the "as we know it" part comes in.
>
> Certainly there will be big changes in direction, and Fedora turns back into
>  a proving ground and farm team for commercial Red Hat.

Um, when was Fedora ever *not* a proving ground for RedHat?  The Foundation
never existed.  It was planned, and then the plan was scratched (from the above
summary):
> Fedora project leader Max Spevack states that Red Hat is no longer
> interested in establishing an autonomous,
                 key word

That article was rather inflammatory IMHO, and not really an accurate summary
of the letter.  If you want to RT(Original)FA:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2006-April/msg00016.html

Matt