A tip of the hat to the end of a distro as we know it.

David Kramer wrote:
> Red Hat gives up on Fedora Foundation
> 4/6/2006 10:16:57 AM, by Ryan Paul
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060406-6535.html
>
> "In an  open letter distributed to the Fedora community earlier this
> week, Red Hat employee and Fedora project leader Max Spevack states that
> Red Hat is no longer interested in establishing an autonomous, nonprofit
> foundation to manage the Fedora project. Instead, Red Hat will revive
> the Fedora Project Board, which will include five Red Hat
> representatives, four members of the Fedora community, and a chairman
> appointed by Red Hat who will possess veto power. Dominated by Red Hat,
> the Fedora Project Board will now have complete authority over the
> Fedora project, including budgetary control."

I'm not sure what you were implying.  Fedora is not going away.  The
"Foundation" is.  From the open letter:
--------------------------

WHY NO FOUNDATION?

When we announced the Foundation, it was with a very specific purpose, and in a
very specific context.  The announcement was made by Mark Webbink, who has been
the intellectual property guru at Red Hat for a long time now.  His stated goal
for the Foundation: to act as a repository for patents that would protect the
interests of the open source community.

What we weren't counting on was the rapid progress of the Open Invention
Network (http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/press.html), which serves a
similar purpose for businesses in a much more compelling way.  Without going
into too much detail, it became clear to us that OIN is going to be the
800-pound gorilla in the patent commons space, and we were eager to join forces.

So the primary motivator in "giving up" on the Foundation is that the
"Foundation's" main purpose was being filled by a broader effort.

Matt