external client using IMAP to access mail server

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 07:36:42AM -0800, Dave Peters wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for any suggestion about external mail
> client using IMAP to access mail server.
> Here is what I think about this: In order to allow
> external client using IMAP to access mail server. I'll
> setup a proxy mail server between Firewall and
> Internal Mail Server, so mail client can access from
> firewall open port IMAP and point to proxy mail server
> then forward to real mail server.
> Which Proxy Mail Server should I use? Fetchmail or
> SquirrelMail, sendmail, qmail or any others?

Erm, why?

Using IMAP is a bad idea. Use IMAP/SSL, port 993. Have your firewall
allow port 993 connections in to your mail server. Use IMAP/SSL
software of choice (dovecot, Courier, whatever) to serve the
traffic.

Of the software you've listed, none are really proxy mail
servers. Well, fetchmail could be construed that way.
SquirrelMail is a webmail system that relies (iirc) on a backend
IMAP server. sendmail and qmail are MTAs that don't handle IMAP
directly.

It's usually better to start out with a description
of your problem than to start with a description of your
solution...

-dsr-

--
"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
   -- Jamin Raskin